TERMS OF AGREEMENT
INYS Speaking Competition – Indonesia Nederland Youth Society
- GENERAL INFORMATION
The Indonesia Nederland Youth Society is pleased to announce the INYS Speaking Competition 2016. In collaboration with the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia to the Kingdom of the Netherlands in The Hague.
With this INYS Speaking Competition we aim to stimulate young Dutch and Indonesians and all other interested international students and young professionals to connect and learn more about each other’s heritage (e.g. speak each other’s language, get to know traditions, culture, food, etc.). We challenge participants to prepare a speech in a foreign langue. This year’s competition consists of one category, for Dutch and international participants, who are invited to prepare a speech in Bahasa Indonesia. Students with a different nationality with an interest in the Netherlands and Indonesia are also highly encouraged to take part in the speaking competition.
The INYS will provide a platform where the participants are given the opportunity to present their speech before an audience and a jury. This will create an excellent occasion for them to learn experience and get used to public speaking in a foreign language, which will enable them to grow more confident in their language skills. Eventually this competition may create extra stimulants for Dutch students and young professionals to learn from each other and connect, which in turn contributes to fostering the relations between both countries on a youth level.
- THE CONTEST
All candidates willing to participate in the speaking competition (hereinafter: the competition) are asked to upload a short video-pitch of themselves onto their personal YouTube account. By sending a link of the video to email@example.com, the INYS team will be able to access the video.
This video should contain the following information when submitted:
- The video may not be longer than 90 seconds;
- The participant should introduce him/herself;
- The participant should give a short summary of the speech he is planning to give, in other words: why did he choose this subject, what will he tell about the subject?
The INYS Executive Board will select the candidates who will be participating in the final event on June 18, 2016.
The event will take place on June 18, 2016. During the event selected participants shall give their speech before the jury. The jury will select two participants as winners: ‘Best Speech’ and ‘Most Creative Speech’. The prize will be the same for both winners. Both winners will win a unique cultural experience.
- REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- participation is free of charge;
- participants should be either students or young professionals;
- participants cannot be older than 35 years of age;
- participants should write and present their own speech;
- participants lived in Indonesia no more than six months
- Alumni from the Darmasiswa scholarship are not allowed to participate;
- Participants should be available on the following dates: June 18, 2015 
- If a participant is not able to participate during the workshop and the final, the participant shall be excluded from the speaking competition;
- The prize for the winner is personal and individual.
- As the INYS would like to encourage non-Indonesian people to speak Bahasa Indonesia, only candidates with a Dutch or international nationality (other than Indonesian) are eligible to apply.
SELECTION PROCEDURE OF PARTICIPANTS
- Of all submitted videos, the INYS Executive Board shall select 15 participants.
- Prior to the finals all finalists shall participate in a workshop given by professional speech writers. Participation in this workshop is mandatory.
- After the workshop 8 will be selected to give their final speech to the jury on June 18, 2016
- During the finals all 8 finalists shall give their speech before the jury of the day. The jury shall select a winner in the category ‘Best Speech’ and ‘Most Creative Speech’ as winners of the INYS speaking competition.
- COMPETITION RULES
- The participants should give a speech in ANOTHER language than their mother tongue, meaning:
Dutch participants give their speech in Bahasa Indonesia;
- Speeches given in Bahasa Indonesia.
- Speeches cannot exceed seven (7) minutes, if seven minutes are exceeded this will affect the jury’s judgement.
- One (1) minute before the seven minutes are over, a bell will be rang to notify the participant there is one minute left to finish the speech.
- Q&A after each speech shall not exceed five (5) minutes.
Participation in all elements (video-pitch, pre-liminary selection, workshop and final) is mandatory.
The winning participants have the honour to be part of an International Youth Delegation (under supervision of Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture) who will attend the Independence Day Ceremony at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on August 17, 2016.
By joining the International Youth Delegation the winning participants will:
- Travel to Indonesia on August 15, 2016
- Join the International Youth Delegation together with other winning candidates from 18 different countries.
- Follow a cultural program in Jakarta and Yogyakarta
- Attend the Independence Day Ceremony at the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on August 17, 2016.
- Leave Indonesia to home country on August 20, 2016
The winners of the INYS Speaking Competition will commit themselves to the required abovementioned program.
All costs will be covered:
- Return ticket Amsterdam-Jakarta
- Other travel expenses made during the program
- SUBMITTING AS A PARTICIPANT & COMPETITION PREPERATION
- Participants can submit their video-pitch from 12 may 2016.
- Video-pitches can be uploaded until 23:59 hours on may 31, 2016, after this date registration will be closed.
- Candidates selected to participate in the competition shall be announced on June 6, 2016
Prior to the finals, participants can fine-tune their speeches during the workshop given as part of the INYS Speaking Competition.
- JUDGEMENT SPECIFICS
|Sufficiently clear (subject, motivation, structure)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Interesting to jury and audience (clear introduction and ending, how relevant is the chosen subject, is it an innovative subject)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Immersiveness (does the speech give an in depth knowledge of the subject, what is the scope of the subject)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Voice (intonation, volume, articulation)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Use of language ( fluentness, correct grammar)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Extra credits for use Bahasa Indonesia||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Posture, attitude, enthusiasm||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Interaction with the audience and jury||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Penalty for non-compliance with time limit of 5 minutes||– 10||-20||-30||-40|
 To enhance the readability of this document he is consistently used throughout this document. Nevertheless, everywhere the document mentions he, she can also be used.
 Dates regarding the speech writing workshop and the event are still subject to change and are possibly rescheduled to another date.