TERMS OF AGREEMENT
INYS Speaking Competition – Indonesia Nederland Youth Society
- GENERAL INFORMATION
The Indonesia Nederland Youth Society is pleased to announce the INYS Speaking Competition 2015. In collaboration with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia to the Kingdom of the Netherlands in The Hague.
With this INYS Speaking Competition we aim to stimulate young Dutch and Indonesians and all other interested international students and young professionals to connect and learn more about each other’s heritage (e.g. speak each other’s language, get to know traditions, culture, food, etc.). We challenge participants to prepare a speech in a foreign langue. The competition will consist of two categories. One category for Dutch and international participants, who are invited to prepare a speech in either Bahasa Indonesia or English. The second category consists of Indonesian participants, who are invited to prepare a speech in Dutch or English. Students with a different nationality with an interest in the Netherlands and Indonesia are also encouraged to take part in the speaking competition.
The INYS will provide a platform where the participants are given the opportunity to present their speech before an audience and a jury. This will create an excellent occasion for them to learn experience and get used to public speaking in a foreign language, which will enable them to grow more confident in their language skills. Eventually this competition may create extra stimulants for both Dutch and Indonesian students and young professionals to learn from each other and connect, which in turn contributes to fostering the relations between both countries on a youth level.
- THE CONTEST
All candidates willing to participate in the speaking competition (hereinafter: the competition) should upload a short video-pitch of themselves onto their personal YouTube account. By sending a link of the video to email@example.com, the INYS team will be able to access the video.
This video should contain the following information when submitted:
- The video may not be longer than 90 seconds;
- The participant should introduce him/herself;
- The participant should give a short summary of the speech he is planning to give, in other words: why did he choose this subject, what will he tell about the subject?
The INYS Executive Board will select which candidates will participate in the semi-finals. The semi-finals will be held in Leiden, Groningen, Wageningen and Tilburg.
In a preliminary selection round, held prior to the semi-finals in each city, but on the same day as the semi-finals, five non-Indonesian participants and five Indonesian participants will give their speech before the jury of that day. The jury will select two non-Indonesian and two Indonesian participants that shall give their speech during the public semi-finals. During the public semi-final one non-Indonesian and one Indonesian shall be selected to participate in the finals. The semi-finals are part of the INYS speaking competition and college tour, besides the speeches given by the selected four participants, a guest speaker will give a lecture on an Indonesian related topic during each semi-final.
During the finals four non-Indonesian and four Indonesian winners of the semi-finals shall give their speech again. All finalists will receive a IND-NL dictionary provided by the KILTV (Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies). At the end of the final day, one non-Indonesian and one Indonesian winner shall be announced. There will be a different prize for the non-Indonesian winner and the Indonesian winner. Both winners will win a unique cultural experience.
- REQUIREMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION
- participation is free of charge;
- participants should be either students or young professionals;
- participants cannot be older than 35 years of age;
- Participants should write and present their own speech;
- Alumni from the Darmasiswa scholarship are not allowed to participate;
- Participants should be available on the following dates: on the day of the semi-final of the city where the participant wants to compete, June 6th for the workshop given by government speechwriters, 25 of June for the finals;
- If a participant is not able to participate during either the semi-finals, the workshop or the finals, the participant shall be excluded from the speaking competition;
- The prize for both the non-Indonesian and the Indonesian winner is personal and individual.
- SELECTION PROCEDURE OF PARTICIPANTS
- Of all submitted videos, the INYS Executive Board shall select 10 participants (five non-Indonesian and five Indonesian) per semi-final city (40 semi-finalists in total).
- At the day of the semi-final, the 10 selected participants for that city shall first participate in a preliminary round in front of the jury of the day. The jury of the day shall select 4 participants (two non-Indonesian and two Indonesian) to give their speech during the public semi-final. During the semi-finals two winners (one non-Indonesian and one Indonesian) will be selected by the jury of the day and proceed to the finals.
- Prior to the finals all finalist shall participate in a workshop given by professional speech writers. Participation in this workshop is mandatory.
- During the finals all 8 finalists shall give their speech before the jury of the day. The jury shall select one non-Indonesian and one Indonesian as winners of the INYS speaking competition.
- COMPETITION RULES
- The participants should give a speech in ANOTHER language than their mother tongue, meaning:
Dutch participants can either give their speech in Bahasa Indonesia or English;
Indonesian participants can either give their speech in Dutch or English;
- Speeches given in either Bahasa Indonesia or Dutch shall receive extra credits from the jury.
- Speeches cannot exceed five (5) minutes, if five minutes are exceeded this will affect the jury’s judgement.
- One (1) minute before the five minutes are over, a bell will be rang to notify the participant there is one minute left to finish his speech.
- Q&A after each speech shall not exceed five (5) minutes.
Participation in all elements (video-pitch, preliminary selection, semi-final, workshop and final) is mandatory.
- SUBMITTING AS A PARTICIPANT & COMPETITION PREPERATION
- Participants can submit their video-pitch from 13 April 2015.
- Video-pitches can be uploaded until 23:59 hours on may 14, 2015, for participants in Groningen, and may 19, 2015, for participants in Wageningen, Tilburg, and Leiden 2015, after this date registration will be closed.
- Candidates selected to participate in the competition shall be announced on 17 and 22 May 2015.
- After the preliminary selection round on the day of the semi-final, participants will have thirty (30) minutes to prepare themselves before giving their speech during the public semi-final.
Prior to the finals, participants can fine-tune their speeches during the workshop given as part of the INYS Speaking Competition.
- JUDGMENT SPECIFICS
|Sufficiently clear (subject, motivation, structure)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Interesting to jury and audience (clear introduction and ending, how relevant is the chosen subject, is it an innovative subject)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Immersiveness (does the speech give an in depth knowledge of the subject, what is the scope of the subject)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Voice (intonation, volume, articulation)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Use of language ( fluentness, correct grammar)||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Extra credits for use of Dutch or Bahasa Indonesia||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Posture, attitude, enthusiasm||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Interaction with the audience and jury||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10|
|Penalty for non-compliance with time limit of 5 minutes||– 10||-20||-30||-40|
 To enhance the readability of this document he is consistently used throughout this document. Nevertheless, everywhere the document mentions he, she can also be used.
 Both the 6th of June for the speech writing workshop and the 25th of June regarding the finals are still subject to change and are possibly rescheduled to another date.